- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (I like to substitute mushrooms in here)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning
- Start by preparing your campfire or camp stove. You’ll want a medium-high heat for cooking the skewers. If using a campfire, make sure you have hot coals.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and pepper to create the marinade.
- Place the chicken cubes in a resealable plastic bag or a container with a lid. Pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag or container, and shake it gently to ensure the chicken is well coated. Let it marinate for at least 15-30 minutes, or longer if you have the time.
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare your skewers. Alternate threading pieces of chicken, bell peppers, red onion, and zucchini onto the wooden skewers. Repeat until you’ve used all the ingredients.
- Place the assembled skewers on the campfire grill or camp stove grate. Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender and slightly charred. Cooking times may vary, so keep an eye on them.
- Once the skewers are done, remove them from the heat and let them cool for a minute or two before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious campfire chicken skewers right at your campsite!
This recipe is easy to prepare and offers a flavorful and satisfying meal for your camping adventure. Feel free to customize it with your favorite vegetables or spices to suit your taste. Happy camping and eating!