- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Aluminum foil
- Start by preparing your campfire or camp stove. You’ll want to have a sturdy campfire grate or a stable camp stove to cook your stew.
- In a large cast-iron pot or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef or turkey over the campfire or camp stove until it’s browned and cooked through. Make sure to break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot and sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the sliced carrots and diced potatoes. Allow them to cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), drained kidney beans, beef or vegetable broth, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir everything well to combine.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the stew simmer over the campfire or camp stove for about 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded together. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While the stew is simmering, you can prepare individual serving packets of aluminum foil. Place a generous portion of the stew in the center of a piece of aluminum foil, then fold and seal it tightly, creating a packet for each camper.
- Once the stew is ready and the vegetables are tender, serve it directly from the pot or Dutch oven or hand out the individual foil packets to campers.
- Carefully open the foil packets (they will be hot) and enjoy your delicious campfire stew.
This campfire stew is a satisfying and warming meal for a camping adventure. It’s versatile, and you can add other vegetables or spices to suit your taste. Plus, the foil packets make cleanup a breeze. Happy camping and eating!